CONTACT YOUR LEGISLATORS!
(You should see our legislator contact app here. If you don’t, CLICK HERE to open the app in another window. If this still doesn’t work, please email us at
firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get you all squared away.)
When is this happening?
Contact your senator and your representative today and encourage him or her to co-sponsor SJR 22!
• SJR 22 will be heard by the Utah Senate within the next several days.
• If SJR 22 is passed by the Senate, the House will then vote on the bill before the end of the 2012 session in mid-March.
• If SJR 22 passes in the House, it will be placed on the November 2012 ballot to be voted on by Utahns throughout the state. The bill needs the support of at least 50.1 percent of Utah residents.
What do I say?
Here are some ideas to help you as you contact your legislators:
SJR 22, the government spending amendment, is good for Utah for several reasons:
- Based on academically peer-reviewed research, SJR 22 will mean thousands more private-sector jobs, more income for Utah’s working families, and billions saved to prepare for recovery from a natural disaster or economic downturn
- SJR 22 will protect, in the Utah Constitution, the wise principles of fiscal restraint which current and past Legislatures have used to become the best managed state in the nation, so that future generations can learn to enjoy the benefits of financial prudence
- SJR 22 will save during the good times to protect public schools and other important government programs from severe, harmful budget cuts in a recession
- SJR 22 will encourage government to turn to the private sector, rather than simply another government program, to find genuine solutions to social problems
- SJR 22 will be a tool to encourage healthy dialogue among decision-makers about how much government spending is appropriate